She was born in Nicholas County, Kentucky to James Layton Hinton and Elizabeth Kersey. The Hinton's later moved to Rush County, Indiana where Eliza Jane met and married Joseph Leisure, the son of George Washington Leisure and Lucinda Myers, on 20 January 1859. Together they raised six children; one son died in infancy:
- James Wash born 13 Nov 1859 in Rush County; Married Mabelle Sexton on 13 Sep 1881 in Rush County; Died 06 Mar 1909 in Elwood, Madison County, Indiana.
- Mary Frances born 26 Oct 1861 in Rush County; Married William Sidney Emay on 12 Sep 1878 in Rush County; Died 22 May 1951 in Hancock County, Indiana.
- Lee Wash born 19 Feb 1864 in Rush County; Married Minnie Nantz/Nance 04 Nov 1886 in Mound City, Linn County, Kansas; Married Maude ? before 01 Mar 1905; died 23 May 1961 in Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.
- John P. born 08 Jul 1867 in Rush County; Married Ada Adella Langston on 26 Mar 1891 in Rush County; died 02 Jul 1901 in Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana.
- Noah J born in May of 1870 in Howard County, Indiana; Married Hypatia Birt on 16 Feb 1893 in Rush County, Indiana; died 07 Jan 1908 in Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana.
- Oliver Carr born 28 Mar 1873 in Rush County; Married Evelina C. Powell on 21 Nov 1893 in Fayette County, Indiana; Died 18 May 1947 in Rush County.
According to Eliza Jane's obituary "Her life was a beautiful one, filled with sweetness, which comes to those who serve the Lord. She died loving and trusting the One who had been her strength and guide so many years. She was a true and devoted wife and a dear and loving mother.."
Anyone who would like the source citations for any of the above mentioned births, marriages, and deaths, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org