Saturday, September 15, 2012

Looking to Kentucky


It’s been awhile since I last posted so I thought I should let everyone know what’s been going on. I am still working on the manuscript for my Leisure Line book although not a diligently as I should. It seems every time I determine not to do anymore research and just publish what I have something grabs my attention and I’m off and running again.

I decided to begin the Leisure story with Joseph (1733-1838). He is purported to have married Rachel Ryan. Their children were all born between 1771 and 1791 either in Maryland or Virginia but by the late 1790s or early 1800s the family had moved to Garrard County, Kentucky. Realizing I know next to nothing about their lives in Kentucky, I’ve been doing some online digging but so much information is not yet online.
Because I want to learn whatever I can about the family in Kentucky and about what their lives would have been like while they were there, Jim and I are taking a quick research trip in early October. I’m trying to get all my homework done so our time there will be efficiently spent.

Lancaster is the county seat for Garrard and the public library website has a great list of genealogy related holdings. I’m sure they have more than what is posted but having this list ahead of time allows me to set up a research plan. Also in Lancaster is the Garrard County Historical Society which has records too though they are not posted. However even without records, the Historical Society will provide the background for how the family lived.

-- As an aside, the secretary at the Historical Society is related by marriage. My 1st cousins 5x removed, Alexander & Joseph Leasure, married granddaughters of her ggg-grandfather, Timothy Logan.
Small world.

Of course, I’m hoping my visits to the library and Historical Society will lead me to records at the courthouse, as well as cemeteries. I would be so thrilled if I could find the burial site for Joseph and Rachel but I’m trying not to get me hopes up too high.

I’ll report on the trip when I get back. 

Until then, Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment